*** YOU DO NOT NEED TO DOWNLOAD THE ZIP FILE OR SETUP.EXE AND REMEMBER TO NEVER OVERWRITE OR DELETE YOUR encryption.config FILE. ***
Group Management Server has a built in web installer. The web installer is a series of pages inside Group Management Server that allow you to download and run updates. Note that Group Management Server will still be accessible by users for most of the upgrade process, bring down outside access to the site if you want to prevent users from making changes during the upgrade. Preventing user access will make restoring the database and site backups simpler if you decide to roll back the upgrade immediately after.
PLEASE BACKUP YOUR GROUP MANAGEMENT SERVER FOLDER
AND DATABASE BEFORE DOING THE UPGRADE.
- Open your web browser, go to your Group Management Server, and look in the header bar (near the logout link) for an alert that will appear telling you that there is a new version. Simply click the alert and follow the on screen instructions to automatically upgrade to the new version (note that you must be logged in as a Group Management Server administrator to do the upgrade).
- If the alert does not appear in the header then either
- restart IIS
- recycle the Application Pool running Group Management Server, to have Group Management Server restart and check for updates.
- If neither of these work, then you can force the upgrade process by going to the installer.aspx page (for example: http://your_server/groupmanagementserver/installer.aspx)
- If this still doesn't detect the update then something is blocking your server from getting to our updates website (http://updates.thycotic.net). Typically this is a restrictive firewall or proxy server requiring authentication. You can do an offline upgrade by following the instructions in the KnowledgeBase article "Upgrading Group Management Server without outbound access". You can also check your Group Management Server's outbound connectivity by going to Administration | Diagnostics within the application - this page will test connectivity to http://updates.thycotic.net and other websites.
UPGRADING A REMOTE DR INSTANCE
- Perform the upgrade on the primary instance
- Backup the primary instance
- Copy the database backup to the remote DR instance and restore the database
- Once upgraded and working, copy the web application folder (but not the database.config file) to the remote DR instance (overwriting the existing files)
- Restart IIS or recycle the application pool running Group Management Server on the remote DR instance
- Confirm that the remote DR instance is working correctly
Remote DR Error Conditions:
- Encryption configs don't match - see this KB article
- Server Dates don't match - if the dates on the web servers do not match the audit records could be bad. The fix is to set the servers to the same time.
- Version does not match - If a secondary node is not properly updated from the primary node after an upgrade, that node will not run because the application version does not match the database. The fix is to copy the application folder (minus the database.config) to replace the files on the secondary server
Article ID: 283, Created On: 8/31/2012, Modified: 3/27/2013