- One of the following Microsoft operating systems:
- Windows Server 2008 (including R2)
- Windows Server 2012 (including R2)
- Windows Vista (Ultimate or Business)
- Windows 7
- Windows 8 (including 8.1)
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005, 2008 (including R2), or 2012. Express Edition or higher.
- Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) / ASP.NET (internal part of the operating system)
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 with Service Pack 1. Both 32-bit and 64-bit editions are supported.
Password Reset Server 3.3.000000 and higher requires the .NET Framework 4.5.1 to be installed on the web server prior to installation or upgrade. The .NET Framework 4.5.1 can be installed on Windows Server 2008 or later. See the following article for information on installing .NET 4.5.1 by clicking here.
Note Do not plan to install Password Reset Server on a domain controller. Microsoft ASP.NET will not operate reliably when installed on a domain controller.
Minimum Hardware Requirements
- Dual-Core 2Ghz or higher
- 2 GB RAM
- 1 GB of disk space (for the database)
- Password Reset Server will operate in a virtualized environment (VMWare or Hyper-V).
- Do NOT install Password Reset Server on a domain controller (Microsoft ASP.NET does not operate reliably when installed on a domain controller).
- You can run Password Reset Server on the same machine as other applications (Password Reset Server will require sufficient RAM and CPU to operate normally), however, see the next point:
- For maximum security, you should install the application on dedicated systems or at least systems with applications with the same level of security/sensitivity. Access to these systems should then be restricted. While all sensitive data in Password Reset Server is either securely hashed or encrypted, it is a security best practice to limit any opportunities for foul play.
Database Size Recommendations
- Recommend 1 GB initial database size
- Typical database size for 1000 users is around 300 MB
- Growth depends on the size of the domain (OUs, groups, users) and audit activity
- Overall relatively small database size.